A few weeks ago I was at home and received a call from my church Bishop
requesting to see me on the coming Sunday. Of course I said yes I’ve known this
man my whole life, but deep down I was scared, what is happening, why would the
Bishop of my ward (in which I have not been to for over a year) as I
have not been living in another city and have chosen not to attend any longer. I
was nervous and wondered what did he want and especially from the stories I had
heard and various excommunications over the last while I was worried what have
I done, what does he want.
I meet with him and I went to sacrament meeting. He was
friendly and asked how I was doing and we had a nice chat. Then he offered me a
calling of being the Young single adult rep for the ward (FYI I hate the term ysa, I this it blatantly points at singleness as a negative thing). I said I would think about it and I thought
about it and did not really know what to do. Of course being limited in my
current social life it would be a good opportunity but that was not really a
main factor for me. But later in the week I text him my answer (as he wanted to
know before the following Sunday) and I said yes I’ll do it. Honestly I’m not
sure why I did, truth be told I feel like I’ve grown out of YSA, its purpose is
something I am very much against, but my bishop thought it would be good for
other YSA to see and hear my views etc.
I was sustained last week while I was at work (I work a lot
of Sundays) and I consequently received multiple text messages from people
asking to meet with me and talk to me about the calling I was a little, perhaps
overwhelm I guess, would be the only word to explain it, but I guess it was
official I am now a female YSA rep.
But now that means I have to go to church? I think the
hardest part for me is that I see the church as doing so many reasonably unpleasant
things, the policy of 2015 regard gays, excommunications on ridiculous grounds
and well I could go on. I think one of the challenges for me is being
associated with a religious “institution” that does things I see as being
extremely cruel.
(But getting back on topic about this new calling of mine) I’m
not sure how to approach it. I have this plan of inventing my own calling and
making the role my own and basically doing whatever the hell I want in a good way
of course (otherwise I’ll get in trouble). I did have this image of myself
wrecking havoc with my non-orthodox views, my opinions on the GA’s and trying
to convince people of the ridiculousness of certain things, but that’s not
really my place and I fully realize that. But I do plan on putting aside rules etc.
We are adults and I am not following rules of older adults just because, they
are older, have the priesthood, are male and/or are married.
Here I am venting again –mirror of my state at the moment
not knowing how to approach this whole thing.
How do I be a part of something I don’t agree with and not
only that but represent it in the form of a calling. What is my purpose in this
calling, what the hell am I meant to do? If anything I think for me at the
moment this is a social calling if anything and I plan to use it that way and
do things that are actually fun and worth doing. I’m sorry but I’m tired to lam
dances with bad D.Js, tired of silly discussions on marriage and how me must be
fulfilling this role and frankly I find
it insulting. I want to make it engaging and shake this idea that our value is
found in marriage and we must reach that goal. Let’s talk about the real life
issues of being an adult, jobs, careers, looking at what we are actually learning
culturally, spiritually, emotionally and how it affects our lives in a positive
and a negative way.
To sum it all up, I’m not sure how to approach this
situation/new calling/ church attendance/general direct involvement with the
organization, but if I am going to do this I want it to be able to make some
kind of a difference and really influence some change.
But one thing is for sure, I will march to my own drum to bring
about the change I think we are deeply
in need of.
I hope I can survive going back to church as it is a decision that does not make my life easier, but I hope it will benefit other peoples life's and that I can be a positive influence for a desperate and radical need for change.
I hope I can survive going back to church as it is a decision that does not make my life easier, but I hope it will benefit other peoples life's and that I can be a positive influence for a desperate and radical need for change.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.